Monday, August 29, 2011

proclus : Adult #muscle loss happens to almost everyone - #diet #weight #metabolic #fat

Check out this website I found at blogs.vitacost.com

Adult muscle loss happens to almost everyone, and much of the muscle mass is lost prior to middle age. If you do nothing about it, you are losing ground. Strength training can address this problem.

Muscle is insidiously converted to fat, without being noticed. Even if you maintain a constant weight, you are most likely still losing muscle mass. If you gain weight, you are also still most likely losing muscle mass. If you are suffering with lowered metabolism, it is most likely due to loss of muscle mass. In addition to lowered metabolism, loss of muscle mass is associated with many of the diseases of aging, such as metabolic disorders, diabetes, bone loss, and degenerative disease.

Longevity and calorie restriction aficionados are frequently stymied and puzzled by a loss in metabolic rate, which often occurs even in those who are actively engaged in healthful pursuits. They simply can't eat as much food as they used to, because it makes them fat. The most likely explanation for this problem is muscle loss, and I have observed muscle loss in many such people, including myself. It is quite simple: More muscle uses more energy, burns more fat, and resists reductions in the metabolic rate. Fortunately for me, strength training appears to have reversed the trend of muscle loss, and it can help you to. In addition to feeling better, your improved appearance will likely attract much more favorable attention from other people.

I am a lifelong bicycle commuter, supplement user, and I am very heath conscious, because of my longevity goals. After over 30 years of bicycle commuting, I am only convinced that it is not enough. Aerobic exercise and cardio-conditioning programs are insufficient to the aim, and strength training is a necessary component. I am over 50, but recently I made impressive strength gains using a Bowflex training program. My muscles were likely pre-conditioned by the lifelong bicycle regimen, but I am also rather convinced that the clean-living Mormon lifestyle, and the parsley program described in this blog also helped accelerate the gains. I recommend all of these, but today I am especially recommending strength training, so often the missing piece.

Consider a life without strength. Is it possible to do anything at all without strength? It is no surprise to see it equated with the highest pursuits, and our very existence my depend on strength training. Moreover, it is just about the only known way to resist muscle loss, and it should be viewed as a necessary component of any longevity program. Strength training recommendations are now a part of federal fitness guidelines, because it is beneficial to anyone, regardless of their state of health. My recommendation is to embrace strength and avoid muscle loss. If you do nothing about muscle loss, you are already only losing ground to much regret. Start a strength training regimen now.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

Published Monday, August 29, 2011 03:05 PM by proclus

No comments:

Post a Comment